Busy Moms! Simple Valentine Traditions to Get Started This Year! - 2022 update
We launched our VALENTINE'S DAY COLLECTION in the Shoppe, (Shop now!) so I thought it was the perfect time to share some fun Valentine family tradition ideas with you!
Do you have family Valentine traditions? At our house, Valentine's Day is a chance to celebrate our family's love for each other, rather than just a couple’s holiday. I honestly find Valentine's too cheesy when I think of it as a couple's day... sorry romantics! I love it as a chance for spreading family love and creating memories though!
Being a busy working mom, I get overwhelmed easily though if creating a special holiday adds too much to my plate. I try to keep it simple, but with pizazz.
1- A SPECIAL VALENTINE MEAL & TABLE
We like to have an uncomplicated, but special Valentine meal as one of our main events. It starts with a Valentine table. Decorating your table...
If you haven't seen our Conversation Heart Table Runner with Pom Poms, coordinating Heart Napkins and Heart Napkin rings, you definitely should take a look! Check out our full Valentine's Day Decor Collection!
A napkin folded as a love note envelope is also a fun touch! Click to watch a quick video to see how we did it!
Typically it's a dinner meal we focus on at our house, but there are lots of fun food ideas for every meal. Everyone enjoys heart shaped and red and pink colored foods. your family can be together, make each one special! Check out our Instagram highlight below for a bunch of fun food ideas for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner! (Click through the first few slides to get to the food). Food is a fun and tasty way to celebrate together!
2- VALENTINE CONVERSATION... with STARTERS
One thing I am excited for at this year's dinner is our conversation. Some of my best family memories are meaningful conversations we've had together. I've helped create a set of funny, reflective and sweet, Valentine conversation starters. I can't wait to share them with my family! Grab them in the Shoppe or when you purchase our Valentine Conversation Hearts table Runner, you get them as a free bonus when you purchase the table runner. Just add food and your special Valentine tradition is ready for years to come!
3- LOVE NOTES TRADITION
What about a tradition of LOVE NOTES?! The week or two before Valentine's Day, create a special way for family members to share love notes with one another. It could be as simple as leaving sticky note messages on the mirror or the door. You could leave them at one another's door at night.
Want to make it even more special? Grab our Love Notes pocket pillow! Family members can write notes and tuck them into the pocket for each other. You could even pass the pillow around so when you find the pillow on your bed with a love note, you write a love note to someone else, stick it in the pocket and leave the pillow for them in their room. It could even be a fun surprise to hide the pillow each day and the kids could hunt for it to find their love note! I'm getting all the feels just thinking about the sweetness of this pass-a-long tradition!
Here's a few other great Valentine ideas...
4. Leave a Valentine at your kids' bedroom doors so when they wake up in the morning they have a fun surprise. I love doing this. It's generally just a small treat and a heart with a note. My kids, now teens, still love it!
5. Plan a family date night. Be sure to teach and practice date manners! (gentlemen open the doors, table manners etc!)
6. Present under the plate... I saw this idea at moreexcelletme.com and thought it sounded so fun. Hide a Valentine gift under their dinner plate (make sure it's in a flat box) at your Valentine dinner. They aren't allowed to open it until the meal is finished. What fun anticipation!
7. Valentine Fairy... This great idea is said to come from Bree at Creative Mom, but I can't find a post to link. Sorry! The idea is fun though... Have a "Valentine fairy" leave Hershey kisses all over the house and a note assigning each child a color of kiss to search for. What kid doesn't love a treasure hunt?!
8. Heart Attack! This is one of our favorite memories! One year we heart attacked the grandparents' house! Don't worry, this is a heart attack they will enjoy! Cut hearts out of paper. Write sweet notes and compliments on all or a few and cover their door in them! Knock on the door and then run and hide to watch their faces when they see the all the love on their door! This is great for friends, family or anyone who just needs a boost!
Hope you have been inspired to add some simple but special family tradition to your family's Valentine's Day !
Remember to check out our Valentine's Day Collection in the shoppe for great decor pieces that will bring love and excitement to your home!